Esperance Beach

Esperance Beach
This is a beach at Esperance, WA (Western Australia) and is just an every day view of something simply beautiful. We won't get there for several months as we make our way clockwise around Australia on our two Suzuki DL-650 V-Strom "motorbikes." We will leave around 1 July 2010.

Friday, August 13, 2010

12 August 2010-A short day on the road, but a good one. Blue sky, winter light, lots of puffy white clouds, and a bit of wind. Really, a lot of wind. Did I mention the blustery right-front cross wind? The middle two-thirds of the trip was through tall, majestic forests, and they neutralized the wind, but the start and finish were through cleared farm land, and it was indeed evident. Lots more motorbikes on the road. Bus drivers in NSW are a bit aggressive - like "I will pass you on a short stretch of passing road and make you get over on the shoulder when I have to pull in before hitting the no-passing zone." Only once though. Perhaps I learned to be more passive myself. But it was a GOOD winter's day ride. Took five hours to go 311 kms though - lots of little towns 50 km/h speed limits, and lots of road work. On another subject, and on reflection, I am amazed that I got through Queensland alive. Every few kilometers there were signs telling me how very tired I was, and suggesting I pull over for a sleep before I crashed. I was afraid they would put me to sleep by auto-suggestion. Now in NSW I fear I will not make it to the Victoria border before being arrested. Every few kilometers there are large signs telling us that we are being monitored by speed cameras, with the absolute consequences of HUGE fines, and loss of license. Well, I can think of much worse places to be stranded....

No comments:

Post a Comment